Back to International Student Emergency Medical Travel Program

Plan F.A.Q.

FAQ’s for SPCS NACC Members

What is the maximum limit of my policy?

The overall maximum policy limit is $2 million per person per policy. Other limits and conditions may apply for some of the benefits. For example, Paramedical Services are limited to a maximum of $500 per profession listed. Please refer to your policy for full limitations and exclusions.

Can I purchase coverage for my spouse or dependent(s)?

Yes you can. Your spouse or dependent(s), if they are eligible, can purchase the same type of coverage with the same benefits, limitations and exclusions as you. The only difference would be the daily rate. Please refer to your policy for eligibility conditions.

What if the date that I plan to arrive in Canada changes?

If you contact us prior to the effective date of your policy, as shown on your confirmation of insurance, we can cancel the policy and refund your premium in full and issue another policy for the new trip dates. If you contact us after the effective date of the policy, as shown on your confirmation of insurance, we will cancel the policy and refund the unused portion of the policy premium.

For what reason(s) can I request a refund?

You can request a refund from your school for the unused portion of your policy premium if:

  1. you permanently leave school; or
  2. you permanently return to your country of origin; or
  3. you become eligible for a government health insurance plan in your province or territory of residence.

Note: No refund will be available if a claim has been paid or is pending.

Are annual medical check-ups included in my coverage?

If you have purchased a policy with a minimum coverage period of 180 days, then we will pay up to $100 towards one annual medical exam and associated lab tests by a physician in Canada.

What do I do if I need to see a doctor?

Please call Global Excel at 1-800-336-9224 before you go and they will help you to find a doctor or clinic in your area and open your claim file. If you are hospitalized, you must notify Global Excel within 48 hours of your admission; otherwise your benefits may not be payable.

How do I report a claim?

Call Global Excel at 1-800-336-9224, or you can go to their website to report a claim.

I am traveling outside my province, am I still covered?

You are covered anywhere you travel in Canada. You are also covered in other countries, excluding your country of origin, as long as you spend at least 51% of your coverage period in Canada.