Back to Visitors to Canada Program

Plan F.A.Q.

VTC FAQ’s for SPCS – NACC Members

How much coverage can I purchase?

You can purchase one of the following coverage amounts based on your needs and your age;

  1. All Ages: $15,000; $25,000, $50,000 or $100,000
  2. Age 69 and under can also purchase $150,000 or $300,000

Does this meet the insurance requirements if I want to apply to the Canadian government for a Super Visa?

One of the requirements to apply for a Super Visa is to have an insurance policy in place which has the following features:

  1. Is issued by a Canadian insurance company.
  2. Has a minimum coverage of $100,000.
  3. Is issued for at least 365 days.

RSA’s Visitor to Canada Travel Insurance could be purchased to meet these requirements.

Can I purchase coverage for my family?

Yes you can. Family coverage is available to clients age 60 and under. Family includes you, your spouse and your dependents who travel at the same time and who live at the same address with you while in Canada. Please refer to the policy for details.

What is the difference between Plan 1 and Plan 2?

There are a few differences:

  1. Plan 1 is available only to those age 79 and under who want coverage for a stable pre-existing medical condition. This plan is not available to those age 80 and over.
  2. Plan 2 is available to those age 50 and over. Plan 2 provides no coverage for any pre-existing medical condition.

Please refer to the policy for details.

Are there medical forms to fill out?

No, a medical questionnaire is not necessary, but there are eligibility conditions and pre-existing medical condition requirements that must be met in order to purchase. Please refer to the policy for details.

What if the date that I plan to arrive in Canada changes?

If you contact us prior to the effective date of your policy, as shown on your confirmation of insurance, we can cancel the policy and refund your premium in full and issue another policy for the new trip dates. If you contact us after the effective date of the policy, as shown on your confirmation of insurance, we will cancel the policy and refund the unused portion of the policy premium.

For what reason(s) can I request a refund?

You can request a refund for the unused portion of your policy premium if:

  1. you return to your country of origin earlier than expected; or
  2. you become eligible for a government health insurance plan in your province or territory of residence.

Note: No refund will be available if a claim has been paid or is pending.

What do I do if I need to see a doctor?

Please call Global Excel at 1-800-336-9224 before you go and they will help you to find a doctor or clinic in your area and open your claim file. If you are hospitalized, you must notify Global Excel within 48 hours of your admission; otherwise your benefits may not be payable.

How do I report a claim?

Call Global Excel at 1-800-336-9224, or you can go to their website to report a claim.

I am travelling outside my province, am I still covered?

You are covered anywhere you travel in Canada. You are also covered in other countries, excluding your country of origin, as long as you spend at least 51% of your coverage period in Canada.