Reporting a Claim

Please contact your broker to report a claim. For after-hours claims service, please contact 613‑237‑2871 and press 4 to be immediately connected with a claims representative. This service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you would prefer to contact your insurance company directly, please see our list of emergency claim numbers below.

What to Do if You Have Been in an Automobile Accident

You’ve been in an auto accident. Now what? Follow these steps:

  1. If the accident is an emergency, dial 911. (It’s an emergency if anyone is injured or you’re blocking traffic.)
  2. If the accident is not an emergency, call your local police department. You should always call the police as you will require a police report to file a claim. If you’re in the Ottawa region, contact the local police at 613‑230‑6211.
  3. If safe to do so, quickly document the accident with pictures and video.
  4. If possible, move the vehicles out of traffic. Do not drive the vehicle if it is not safe to do so.
  5. Fill out a police report (this is required for many insurance companies to start a claim). Note the badge numbers of the responding officers.
  6. Record details of the accident including date, time, location, weather, road conditions and anything else relevant.
    • If possible, get the license plate numbers, driver’s license numbers, contact information, and insurance information from others involved in the accident.
    • If possible, get witness contact information.
  7. Contact your insurance company or broker for advice and to open a claim. They may advise you as to where your vehicle should be towed if it is not driveable.
  8. If your vehicle is not driveable, arrange for it to be towed to a holding lot or repair facility. You should arrange to have someone pick you up or be prepared to take a taxi or public transit to your home or other destination.

Make no comments or admit any blame for the accident to the other driver(s). Your insurance company will determine fault based on the fault determination rules regulated by the government.

What to Do if You Have a Property Claim

For fire, water or wind claims:

  1. Ensure everyone is safe.
  2. If an emergency (fire or an injury), call 911.
  3. If at all possible, move valuables out of harm’s reach.
  4. Document the damage with photos and video if it is safe to do so.
  5. Call your broker or insurance company and follow any of their instructions.
  6. Record information such as location, time of day, weather, and other factors related to the claim.
  7. Make a list of damages and items damaged.
  8. Keep all receipts related to cleanup, repairs, item replacement, and additional living expenses.
Some additional guidance on storm damage and claims
  • If you have branches hanging down from the weight of ice, which might be blocking your walkways or driveway, do not try to knock off the ice to help release the branches. You could be struck by large or sharp chunks of ice falling from higher up branches.  Branches may also break free and cause further damage or injury.
  • Do not attempt to remove branches or trees from your house.
  • Do not try to remove trees or branches that are leaning against wires, and do not go near any downed power lines.  Alert your local hydro to any of these situations.
  • Try to keep sidewalks and walkways clear and salted to prevent someone from slipping and injuring themselves.

For more information, please review our FAQ page for answers to the most commonly asked claims questions related to property damage and storms.

For break & entry (or theft) claims:

  1. If your home has been broken into, do not enter.
  2. Call the police.
  3. Call your broker or insurance company to file a claim.
  4. Record what happened (time of day, weather, anything suspicious, responding officer badge numbers, et cetera).
  5. Document the damage with pictures or video.
  6. Make a list of stolen items and damages.

Your insurance company will advise you on next steps.

Rogers Insurance and CapriCMW Merge to Become Acera Insurance.

Smith Petrie Carr & Scott, as part of the Rogers Insurance Group, is now Acera Insurance.

As one unified company, we are now one of Canada's largest independent and employee-controlled brokerages.